View Immigration advisers authority home page
For advisers small banner

What you need to know about giving New Zealand immigration advice

Before you give New Zealand immigration advice, there are some important things you need to know and understand.

What is immigration advice?

If you use your knowledge of or personal experience in immigration matters to advise, assist, direct or represent a person, you are providing immigration advice.

Immigration advice is defined in the Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007(external link)

Who can give immigration advice?

It is compulsory for any individual providing New Zealand immigration advice either in New Zealand or overseas to be licensed, unless they are exempt under the Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007.

People can give New Zealand immigration advice without a licence in an informal or family context, as long as the advice is not provided regularly or for a fee. This exemption is designed for “one-off” assistance only.

More information about who needs to be licensed can be found on the Immigration Advisers Authority (IAA) website.

Who needs a licence?

What happens if I give advice without a licence or exemption?

Individuals found breaking the law can face up to seven years in prison and/or a fine of up to $100,000, even if a fee is not charged for that advice.

Unlawful immigration advice can cause significant stress and problems for visa applicants, not to mention putting them out of pocket or jeopardising their plans to move to New Zealand.

Where can I find a licensed Immigration Adviser?

You can check if a person is licensed and find their details on the online Register of Immigration Advisers.

Register of Immigration Advisers(external link)

What is the Immigration Advisers Authority?

The IAA was set up to promote and protect the interests of people receiving New Zealand immigration advice.

The IAA does this by issuing licences to people who are fit and competent to give immigration advice and by investigating people giving immigration advice without a licence or exemption. Licensed advisers are also required to a follow a professional code of conduct.

Download this factsheet as a pdf file