View Immigration advisers authority home page
About us small banner

Supporting Filipinos to get the right immigration advice

New Zealand is a popular destination for Filipino migrants, to visit, work, live or even study. In 2016, Immigration New Zealand approved over 17,000 visitors visas, 14,300 work visas and 3,800 student visas from the Philippines.

Registrar of the Immigration Advisers Authority (IAA) Catherine Albiston says that if you need help while completing your visa application it is important to get advice from the right person.

“Filipinos looking to travel to or reside in New Zealand should be aware that if they need advice when applying for a visa, they must use a New Zealand licensed immigration adviser or someone who is exempt,” says Ms Albiston

“There is no requirement to use an immigration adviser, however if a person needs help then only a licensed immigration adviser or exempt person, such as a current New Zealand lawyer, can assist.

“That’s why the IAA offers a free register of licensed advisers(external link) and list of exempt persons(external link) on our website(external link).”

“To make sure you are protected; use our “Looking for New Zealand Immigration Advice” checklist.

Ms Albiston is set to visit the Philippines to raise awareness of the IAA and its role supporting migrants to know where to turn when looking for New Zealand immigration advice.

“The IAA was set up to protect the interests of people receiving New Zealand immigration advice, as there are unfortunately people who operate outside the law,” adds Ms Albiston.

“Licensed advisers have specialist expertise and have met competency standards. They follow a code of conduct that requires them to be honest and respectful.”

New Zealand’s Ambassador to the Philippines David Strachan, who will host Ms Albiston during her trip to the Philippines, welcomed the timing of Ms Albiston’s visit with the launch of a non-stop four weekly flight service to Auckland from the Philippines.

“From December this year, Philippines Airlines will commence a four weekly service direct to Auckland that will facilitate tourism flows between the two countries,” says Mr Strachan.

“It is timely to offer some advice to would-be travellers and residents of New Zealand.”

The IAA is responsible for issuing licences to advisers and handles complaints about poor immigration advice. The IAA does not provide immigration advice.

For more information on the IAA go to www.iaa.govt.nz or contact info@iaa.govt.nz.