View Immigration advisers authority home page
About us small banner

Looking for Immigration advice?

New Zealand’s Immigration Advisers Authority (IAA) has launched a campaign to help Brazilians, Chileans and Colombians looking to live or work in New Zealand know what to do when seeking immigration advice.

“If you or your family need immigration advice on coming to or residing in New Zealand for work, study or travel, it’s important to use a licensed or exempt immigration adviser,” says Registrar of New Zealand Immigration Advisers Karla Flood.

“To make sure you are protected; use our Looking for New Zealand Immigration Advice checklist [PDF, 167 KB].”

New Zealand immigration advisers, who are licensed by the IAA, have met competency standards and follow a professional code of conduct.

“Unfortunately, there are people who operate outside the law as unlicensed advisers. These people may not be honest with you, or with Immigration New Zealand who processes visa applications,” adds Ms Flood.
“Using an unlicensed immigration adviser may result in a visa application being returned or declined by Immigration New Zealand, which can be very stressful for families.

Visit our register of licensed immigration advisers(external link) or list of exempt persons to make sure you get advice from the right person.”

The IAA is responsible for issuing licences to advisers and handles complaints about poor immigration advice and can be contacted on info@iaa.govt.nz. The IAA does not provide immigration advice.

For more information on the IAA, or to find an adviser, go to www.iaa.govt.nz

Notes to editor

The Immigration Advisers Authority was set up to promote and protect the interests of people receiving New Zealand immigration advice.

We do this by:

  • issuing licences to people who are fit and competent to give immigration advice
  • maintaining competency standards and a code of conduct for immigration advisers
  • investigating people giving immigration advice without a licence or exemption
  • receiving complaints from people who have received poor immigration advice.

Under the Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007(external link) anyone giving immigration advice must have a licence unless they are exempt. Exempt people include lawyers with a current New Zealand practising certificate and Citizens Advice Bureaux staff among others.

The Authority is independent of Immigration New Zealand and cannot give immigration advice or influence a visa application