View Immigration advisers authority home page
About us small banner

Immigration Advisers Authority Registrar to speak in Timaru

This Friday, Immigration Advisers Authority (IAA) Registrar Catherine Albiston will be in Timaru to remind people of the importance of using a licensed adviser, or someone exempt, when seeking immigration advice.

“The IAA is here to protect people who receive immigration advice, by ensuring they receive quality advice. We do this by setting standards for licensed advisers, issuing licences and providing an online register of licensed advisers,” says Catherine.

“Unfortunately, there are people who provide immigration advice when they are not licensed or exempt, and take advantage of those who may be in a vulnerable situation.”

Catherine will be speaking as part of the Pacific Immigration and Settlement Information seminar, which is taking place at the Methodist Church Hall, on the Corner of North Street & Woodlands Road, from 6.30-8:00 pm.

“It’s great to have the chance to speak to the Pacific community in Timaru to explain the importance of using a licensed adviser,” Catherine says.

“Licensed immigration advisers have specialist expertise, have met competency standards, and follow a professional code of conduct.”

The Timaru event is one of a series of seminars that are being run for Pacific communities across New Zealand. The seminars focus on raising awareness of settlement channels of support, visa requirements and other important information about immigration.

All interested parties are encouraged to attend, no prior registration is needed.


Notes to editor

The Immigration Advisers Authority was set up to promote and protect the interests of people receiving New Zealand immigration advice.

We do this by:

  • issuing licences to people who are fit and competent to give immigration advice
  • maintaining competency standards and a code of conduct for immigration advisers
  • investigating people giving immigration advice without a licence or exemption
  • receiving complaints from people who have received poor immigration advice.

Under the Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007(external link) anyone giving immigration advice must have a licence unless they are exempt. Exempt people include lawyers with a current New Zealand practising certificate and Citizens Advice Bureaux staff among others.

The Authority is independent of Immigration New Zealand and cannot give immigration advice or influence a visa application