View Immigration advisers authority home page
About us small banner

Graduating soon?

International students studying in New Zealand might be considering ‘what next’ and looking at what visa options they or their families have in New Zealand.

“If you’re looking for immigration advice about the options you have to stay in New Zealand after your studies, check your adviser is a Licensed Immigration Adviser or exempt person, such as a New Zealand lawyer,” says Registrar of the Immigration Advisers Authority (IAA) Catherine Albiston.

Immigration Advisers must be licensed by the IAA, a New Zealand government body set up to protect individuals and families looking for immigration advice, or be an exempt person.

“Visa information is available on the Immigration New Zealand website(external link). If students need personalised immigration help, it is important to only seek it from people who can legally give New Zealand immigration advice,” adds Ms Albiston.

“Holding an immigration adviser licence means the individual has met competency standards and must be professional.

“Visa applicants need to be honest with Immigration New Zealand and declare any help received when completing a visa application form. If applicants are not honest, the visa application may be declined and Immigration New Zealand may refuse future visa applications.

“Our message to students seeking immigration advice is to check if the person is a Licensed Immigration Adviser or exempt.”

You can find a Licensed Immigration Adviser on the IAA’s register of licensed immigration advisers(external link).

For more information, go to the IAA’s website www.iaa.govt.nz or email info@iaa.govt.nz