Home - About IAA - Media - Media release

New Guides to help migrants seeking immigration advice

Media release

19 August 2014

The Immigration Advisers Authority (IAA) has recently produced a new resource in a number of languages especially for migrants to New Zealand, to help them understand what they need to know when seeking immigration advice.

Acting Registrar Catherine Albiston says anyone providing New Zealand immigration advice in or outside New Zealand must be licensed by the IAA, unless exempt.

“We have recently produced a Guide to Licensed Immigration Advisers in a number of languages, including Simplified Chinese, Korean, Samoan and Tongan, which we are encouraging migrants to read before they seek immigration advice. There are protections in place to support migrants, when they use a licensed adviser.”

The Guides outline the benefits of using a licensed adviser and how to find one, as well as pointing out the risks of using an unlicensed one who is not exempt.

“Gaining residence in New Zealand is highly sought after and potential migrants may be lulled into believing what they are told from people keen to make money from them while providing them with little or no hope of staying in New Zealand.”

“Licensed immigration advisers are immigration specialists. They meet competency standards and must follow a code of conduct.”

“The information in the Guides is easy to understand and we hope it will go a long way to helping prospective migrants seek professional, quality immigration advice, both in New Zealand and abroad,” said Ms Albiston.

The Guide to Licensed Immigration Advisers can be found in a number of languages on the IAA website or printed copies can be requested from info@iaa.govt.nz

Anyone wanting to seek a licensed adviser can view the register.


Notes to editor

The Immigration Advisers Authority was set up to promote and protect the interests of people receiving New Zealand immigration advice.

We do this by:

Under the Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007 anyone giving immigration advice must have a licence unless they are exempt. Exempt people include lawyers with a current New Zealand practising certificate and Citizens Advice Bureaux staff among others.

The Authority is independent of Immigration New Zealand and cannot give immigration advice or influence a visa application.